Someone showed me this yesterday and I thought I’ll repost and blog about it…
List excerpted from Glamour’s “Thirty Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know By The Time She’s 30.”By 30, you should have …
1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come. - double check, let’s not discuss this though haha…
2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family. - check, have acquired something since moving to Australia few months ago.
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour. - check, I can wear my yoga gear to see the employer or man of my dreams right?!
4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying. - check
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond. - check, didn’t have a quarter life crisis for nothing.
6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age. - check check check
7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age — and some money set aside to help fund it. - I think I will by my old age given my ability to manage money in general. At the moment I don’t have since I spent it all on traveling for a year and setting myself up in a new country. Can that count as half a check?
8. An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account — all of which nobody has access to but you. - check, who doesn’t have an email address now days? Besides my mom.
9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded. – check. My issue is that it might have too much on it given what I do now and what I used to do…
10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry. - too many checks. I love my girls.
11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra. - Oh no. Ok I still have some time before I’m 30! And yoga teachers hardly even wear a bloody bra!
12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it. – Oh check Louis Vuitton. Check Ed Hardy jacket. Check check check check check.
13. The belief that you deserve it. - CHECK. If I don’t believe that, how can I convince other people?!
14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30. - check. Thank you yoga.
15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better – check career, relationship I’m working on… Lucky I’m not 30 yet then….
By 30, you should know …
1. How to fall in love without losing yourself. - check I think! Leo’s and Pitta’s are damn passionate people though and it’s hard to change that sometimes.
2. How you feel about having kids. - OH DEAR GOD I keep changing my mind on this one…
3. How to quit a job, break up with a man, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship. - check. Think I’ve handled this pretty well thus far in life.
4. When to try harder and when to walk away. – Walking away is still pretty hard for me…
5. How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next. – hmmm I have to try this one out next time, it’s been a while since my last kiss hahaha….
6. The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town. - Um… I’m not 30 yet I still have time to find out!
7. How to live alone, even if you don’t like to. - check.
8. Where to go — be it your best friend’s kitchen table or a yoga mat — when your soul needs soothing. - check.
9. That you can’t change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents. – CHECK!
10. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over. - check… I am very grateful for my childhood because it made me the person I am today whether it was good or not at the time.
11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love. – I think it’s a check but I think that will still depend on the situation when it arises…
12. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long. - HELL YEAH check. Don’t do drugs people. And floss your teeth and go to the dentist every 6 months for check up and cleaning!
13. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally. – check… But sometimes it’s still difficult to not take things personally…
14. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault. - I grew up in South Africa, we say sorry instead of excuse me, and sorry for just about everything hahaha
15. Why they say life begins at 30 - I CAN’T WAIT TO TURN 30 NEXT YEAR!
So I always thought in my teens that by my 20′s I’ll know everything. And in my 20′s I realise how little I really know. But as time goes by I can undoubtedly say that I am more and more sure of what and who I am. That includes accepting myself for everything I am, the good and the bad. There’s still a whole lot more to learn but isn’t that just one of the joys of life? Lamo I know, but you know it’s true!
What’s in your list of should have’s and should know’s? HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!